Friday, September 6, 2013

Salted Brown Butter Rice Krispies Treats

The other day I went grocery shopping and found a deal on cereal. We don't usually eat much cereal in this house so I decided on getting a box of Rice Krispies (along with 3 other brands) thinking that I would make some Rice Krispies Treats with them. I thought that Riley (and Jamaal) would enjoy them. 

Turns out my boys have been holding out on me. The cereal (all 4! boxes) is almost gone and it hasn't been quite 2 weeks since I bought it! Jamaal pulled out the Rice Krispies the other day and I made a comment about not being able to make the treats because everyone kept eating the Rice Krispies. I was mostly just stating a fact, and okay with him eating them. I wasn't sure if we had any marshmallows anyway. But he ended up having Cinnamon Toast Crunch instead. So I figured I should hurry up and make them, since I made him change up his cereal choice. 

I googled a recipe and found this: the 50 best recipes. My eye went to a browned butter recipe, and as I was getting ready to print I noticed that the recipe was adapted from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook by Deb Perelman, which I happen to have! I got a little annoyed, because the author of the blog I first read makes it seem like it was her idea. I'm glad I noticed it was Deb's recipe (which is also shared on her blog!). Because I LOVE her and have been looking forward to using her cookbook for a while. 

So, I pulled out the box and measured what we had left: roughly 5 cups of cereal...and of course the recipe calls for 6. But it ended up being just perfect. Enjoy!

Salted Brown Butter Rice Krispies Treats
From Smitten Kitchen

Ingredients:
-1 stick (8 Tbsp) butter
-Heaping 1/4 teaspoon flaky sea salt (I used flaky kosher salt, and just a large-ish pinch)
-10 ounces of marshmallows
-6 cups Rice Krispies (or 5 cups if your family eats them up before you can make these.)

1. Prepare an 8x8 pan, either by using butter to coat the sides and bottom, or non-stick spray.
2. In a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat, brown the butter stirring constantly. Be very careful not to burn it. Once browned remove from heat. Stir in salt.
3. Add marshmallows and stir until melted. If necessary, use low heat to melt any stubborn marshmallows. Be careful not to over-cook the mallows.
4. Fold in the cereal. Using a heat-safe spatula to scrape the sides and bottom of the pan, evenly coat the Krispies.
5. Once mixed well, dump the mixture into the 8-inch square pan, making sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the pan well. Get your hands wet with cold water, shake off excess water. Now press the treats down. (This trick worked great! Didn't have a sticky-icky mess, and they pressed really easily.
6. Let the treats cool. Then cut into 2 inch square pieces.

Makes 16 treats.
4 PointsPlus per treat. (using either 5 or 6 cups of cereal)

No comments:

Post a Comment